~ Lav

"The tallest tree in the forest started with one small seed."

Saturday, February 24, 2007




I've previously posted this speech on my blog. It's a portion of Nelson Mandela's speech which has greatly impacted me and encouraged me and I'd like to once again share it with you. . .

during my first year of university I sat in my sociology class, excited and i think a little scared. my teacher emphathized with us students and encouraged us. she had shared a portion of Nelson Mandela's Inagural Speech, which had encouraged her. i have kept a copy of this Inaugural speech with me since my first year of university. so many thoughts come to mind when i read it, so many thoughts, it has been really encouraging to me and i hope that it will be as encouraging to you.


Inaugural Speech 1994


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyound measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frighten us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that
other people will not feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that
is within us.
It is not just some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we consciously
give people permission to do the same.
As we liberate from our own fear, our presence
automatically liberates others.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arbitrarily Predictable said...

Did you know he wasn't actually the one who came up this portion of his speech. It's actually by a woman: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own
light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
—Marianne Williamson

10:52 AM  
Blogger Lavlet said...

Gillian,

I thought it was most likely not written by him. A lot of political figures do not write their own speeches.

For myself, the most important thing is that I just want others to be encouraged, motivated and enlightened from these powerful words.

Blessings ~

4:10 PM  
Blogger Arbitrarily Predictable said...

Hey you! I actually REALLY Enjoy these words and it was you her first shared them with me via your Blog - so thank you. I didn't mean to take anything away from Nelson's speech nor the words meanings.

Thanks for your comment on my Blog - I appreciate YOU!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Lavlet said...

Thanks Gillian!

Blessings ~

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home