~ Lav

"The tallest tree in the forest started with one small seed."

Saturday, August 27, 2005

When I was . . .

during my first year of university I sat in my sociology class, excited and i think a little scared. my teacher emphathized with us students and encouraged us. she shared a portion of Nelson Mandela's Inagural Speech that had encouraged her.

i have kept a copy of this Inaugural speech with me since my first year of university. so many thoughts come to mind when i read it, so many thoughts, it has been really encouraging to me and i hope that it will be as encouraging to you. ~ blessings ~

Nelson Mandela
Inaugural Speech 1994
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyound measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frighten us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that
other people will not feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that
is within us.
It is not just some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we consciously
give people permission to do the same.
As we liberate from our own fear, our presence
automatically liberates others.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lavelet,
Awesome sight, I especially love this speech by Nelson Mandela, certainly he knows what it's like to SHINE< to PERSEVERE through darkness.

I'm encouraged, there's times when I shrink back, but I have to shake that off, and give way to God's will ! with love jules

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home